ESOL & Literacy
In partnership with the Literacy Council of Upper Pinellas (LCUP), the Safety Harbor Public Library offers free Adult Literacy and ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) tutoring. The Literacy Council of Upper Pinellas is located in the Dunedin Public Library and their mission is to teach adults (16 years and older) literacy skills to enhance their self-esteem, increase occupational and social opportunities, and enrich lifestyles. They can be reached directly at 727-298-3080 x1724, or by email at email@example.com.
The library is seeking English-speaking volunteer tutors. If interested, please attend an ESOL Conversation Club meeting and complete a tutor information form (PDF) and return it to the Answers Desk in the library or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need beginning ESOL instruction, intermediate ESOL instruction, or tutoring in Adult Literacy, please complete a student information form (PDF) and return it to the Answers Desk in the library or email to email@example.com. As soon as a tutor is available that matches your schedule needs, you will be notified.
ESOL and Adult Literacy books, CDs and DVDs are available and may be borrowed from the library with a Pinellas County library card.
ESOL Conversation Club, facilitated by Literacy Council of Upper Pinellas volunteers, takes place at varying times and locations throughout the year. Please see the LCUP website for more information on current or upcoming sessions. Join others in an informal setting and practice your English conversation skills. Different topics of discussion will be covered each week to help you learn how to communicate in everyday situations.
Pronunciator Online Language Learning
Pronunciator is an online language-learning service that covers over 90 languages, including English as a Second Language (ESL). It focuses on building conversational skills using interactive online drills, quizzes, downloadable audio lessons and phrasebooks, covering vocabulary and conversation to make learning fun. Apps are also available for Apple, Android, and Kindle Fire.
Are you or someone you know ready to start preparing for the U.S. Citizenship Test and interview process? Help is available.
The basic requirements for Citizenship Preparation students are:
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must have had a permanent resident card for at least 5 years.
- If married to a U.S. citizen, you must have had a permanent resident card for 3 years.
- You can speak, understand, read and write basic English.
- You have the ability to pass a test on U.S. history and basic government.
If you meet these requirements, complete a student information form (PDF) and return it to the library.
Internet Resources for ESOL & Literacy
- USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Service) - USCIS is the federal agency that administers citizenship and immigration services for the United States.
- National Literacy Directory - Designed to help individuals find local literacy and education programs and GED testing centers in their areas.
- USA Learns - A site for adults to improve English speaking, pronunciation, listening, reading, spelling, writing and grammar.
- Clearwater Adult Education Center - Offers a variety of classes including high school credit, GED preparation, ESOL, career and technical courses.
- Florida Literacy Coalition - Promotes, supports and advocates for the effective delivery of quality adult and family literacy services in the state of Florida.
- GED Pinellas County - Information on how to register to take to GED exam at various testing centers in Pinellas County.