Dr. Clifford "Cliff" R. Merz, PE4-Term Safety Harbor Commissioner: Serving the Community since 2012 as:
- Vice Mayor (2013; 2014-2015; 2019-2020)
- City representative to the Pinellas Suncoast Transit Authority (PSTA) Board (2012-2014)
- City representative to the Pinellas County: Forward Pinellas (MPO/PPC) Board (2014-2016; 2020-Present)
- City representative to the Suncoast League of Cities (2012-Present)
- Florida League of Cities 2014 Home Rule Hero Award recipient, awarded to "legislators who have shown strong and consistent support of municipal home rule issues."
- City representative to Pinellas County School Transportation Safety Committee (2017-Present)
- Over 35 years of private and academic sector experience with local municipalities, inter-governmental, state and federal agencies
- B.S. Ocean Engineering, Florida Atlantic University.
- M.S Ocean Engineering, University of Connecticut.
- M.S Civil/Water Resource Engineering, Florida Atlantic University.
- Ph.D. Engineering, University of South Florida (USF).
- Florida Registered Professional Engineer (PE).
- Faculty research engineer at USF’s College of Marine Science in St Petersburg.
- Founder of Dialytics, Inc., a university technology R&D start-up.
- Institute for Elected Municipal Officials (
IEMO) courses completed; Florida League of Cities and the John Scott Dailey Florida Institute of Government
- Leadership Pinellas Class of 2018
Residentof Safety Harbor since 1998
- Cliff and his wife Michelle of 38 years are the proud parents of 5 children and 1 grandchild
Church & Civic
Activemember of Espiritu Santo Catholic Church in Safety Harbor. Activemember inSafety Harbor’s many and diverse community activities.
- Countryside High School Advisory Board member (2012 – 2015) for the Center of Computer Technologies (CCT) and the Institute for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (
- Continuing efforts to strengthen community development through closer connections between local business and surrounding civic/school and educational training programs.
- 2017 Pinellas County Economic Leadership Symposium: Workforce development panelist invitee and speaker.