The Safety Harbor Public Library was established in 1938 by the Women's Civic Club of Safety Harbor. For its first decade it was located inside of their Community House and operated by the Club. However, the collection of books quickly outgrew the space and demand necessitated a larger space.
In 1946, a civic-minded man by the name of Dr. Salem Baranoff, who had just purchased the Safety Harbor Spa, learned of this need and wasted no time in coming up with a solution. He purchased two lots on the corner of 2nd St N and 5th Ave N and donated the land for a new library. The new building was completed and opened in 1949.
The Women's Civic Club continued to support the library though various fundraising efforts until 1985 when they sold the property and turned over operations to the City. By this time the library had once again outgrown the space and a new building was planned. In 1994 the current building first opened. It was remodeled in 2009 and the planning of a second story addition is currently in the works.
Today, the Safety Harbor Public Library is a vital part of our community and provides an anchor presence downtown. Today’s library continues to promote literacy, but provides much more than books, music, magazines, and DVDs. It also serves as a meeting place for groups and individuals for quiet study or group collaboration and a safe gathering place for youth after school. Offering a wide range of cultural and educational programs for all ages on diverse topics is a main priority.
We will continue to provide technology training and ESOL classes, as well as opportunities for early childhood literacy through story times and summer reading programs. Our gallery space provides local artists an outlet to exhibit their works. We offer a Tool Library and a Seed Library, WiFi hotspots, ukuleles, STEAM kits, and opportunities for adults to gain a high school diploma.